Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Smoked Pork Butt

Today I'm making my favorite -- smoked pork butt!

Here's my approach:

Purchase a 6-8 lb Boston Butt (bone in)

Inject with the following mixture:
1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup white grape juice
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1-1/2 Tbs salt
(warm the mixture in microwave 30 sec - 1 min to better dissolve sugar and salt)

After injecting, pat dry with paper towels and then apply a dry rub:
4 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp dark brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp white granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/16 tsp ground ginger

Smoke at 225-250 F until internal temperate of at least 190 F is reached (typically takes about 13 hours).

Shred and serve!

Apply sauce to individual servings. The meat will have good flavor, so don't overdo it on sauce! I've tried making sauces, but haven't created anything I like better than Sweet Baby Ray's Original.

My preferred wood for smoke is apple, and I often pour some apple juice in the water bath pan as well.

You can speed this process up by wrapping the butt in foil when temperature stalls around 165 F, but my preference is to leave it on the smoker untouched until finished (don't even open the lid to peek). I typically reload the can of wood chips once during the process, which keeps the smoke rolling for about the first six hours.





No comments:

Post a Comment